The year started off on a very sad note. My grandma (last living grandparent) passed away on February 4th. It was a different experience for myself because being through what I was through when my dad died I almost felt numb to what was going on. I fully comprehended what was happening; her going into the hospital, being diagnosed with terminal cancer, etc but the emotion response was not there. It wasn't until her funeral that my emotions started coming to the surface and it was emotions of anger and frustration. I felt out of control. My grandma was a wonderful, spunky ol' lady and I feel blessed to have spent as much time with her as I was able to the last few years. Several friends had parents die unexpectedly including the first person from my high school class dying in a car accident. We weren't close after HS but we were locker buddies all 4 years thanks to the alphabet. RIP Mike.
The Colts lost the Super Bowl!!! And pretty bad too. Manning allowed a pick 6 late in the game to a grad from IU who had the balls to run it all the way back. 2010 Football season has also been an experience that I'd rather not repeat. The Favre experiment was a complete success (minus one pass) in 2009 and a complete disaster in 2010. The Vikings didn't make the playoffs and with one week to go the Colts are still fighting for a playoff spot. And worst of all, the Patriots are on top too!
Work was work... Received "Outstanding Case Manager of the Year" honor but have yet to receive the gift card or certificate promised at the District Meeting. Maybe at the January mtg right? Still thankful to have a job. Almost 25% of the company was laid off due to budget cuts related to a restructured contract with the State. Really makes you think of what you have and be grateful for it when you think of those who go without.
I coached Austin's flag football team this fall. OMG!!! was I not prepared for this but it was a really good experience. It showed me what it was like to have other people's kids look up to you and I also now know how football coaches can have heart attacks. It was only flag football but holy moely did I ever get into some of the games. My best call of the year was a time out with one second to play in the first half of a game in the playoffs. We got a long pass for a touchdown on the next play that helped seal our victory. We lost in our second playoff game on the last play of the game and finished the season 4-4. Austin said it was the most fun he had ever had playing sports and is now excited about playing padded football next year.
Wife and oldest son are kicking butt in school. Austin has transitioned fine to ALPHA program, hitting all A's this semester. He says the work is easy and wants to be bumped up a grade... I told him you don't want to grow up any quicker than you have to. Maybe when he's older he'll thank me. Beth is doing awesome in school. This semester was a challenge with being in the nursing program but she did a great job and I'm so proud of her. I hope that she is seeing how much more she is capable of and how often she sells herself short (and stops doing that). She balanced a family and full time nursing school while being older than most of the other people in the program who are just worried about what party they are going to on the weekend. After next semester she will be half way done with school and 1 of 3 years complete in the nursing program. Keep rockin' it out. Youngest son is potty trained!!! Can we say no more diapers... Yes We Can!
Looking to the new year I reflect on this year...
HEALTH: Well, as I munch on some candy writing this I would say I still have a way to go. Still doing two run/walk events a year. Austin is doing the next one with us and hope that the two of us will train for it. Hoping this will motivate me overall to do more on a daily basis.
FAITH: Still trying to figure this out... really need to get with Beth and find a church. This is a huge VOID in our lives.
FAMILY: I need to be the father that my children want to look up to. I want to be the husband my wife wants to be married to and falls in love with everyday. I need to take those moments daily to make memories with each of them.
FINANCES: Well if I could get paid more for not going out to eat that would solve most of our problems. We did fairly well with our finances as a whole. We are really good at spending money and that's the problem. I hope for the coming year we do better planning with the money we do have and make better decisions on how to spend it. There were a couple tighter than preferred moments towards the end of the year and not having those moments in the coming year would be great!
Food for thought... a few items I have been reflecting on as the year comes to a close:
- Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
- The reason the "enemy" puts doubt in your mind is because the "enemy" fears what you might become... so BECOME!!!
- Whatever you refuse to confront today will be next to impossible to change tomorrow.
- The degree to which you progress in life will be determined by the degree to which you respond to your failures.
- We all face storms in life, but never let an outside storm become an inside storm
- Unity is not sameness; its having our common goal mean more than having "my way".
- Psalm 37:4-6 "Take delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun."
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete